Henry Rotton MLA for Hartley
Coach operator and Member of Parliament
Date of Death: 11/10/1881
Condition of the Bathurst Road Committee No.279 Dec 18594 Jul 18606mths 26days3rd (1859 - 1860)Chairman, appointed 20 December 1859
Qualifications, occupations and interests
Pastoralist. Failed to enter navy; became midshipman and later an officer in merchant marine. Arrived on Kangaroo Island, South Australia, as second mate on Emma in 1836. Journeyed to Sydney and worked in a merchants office; became licensee at the Queen Victoria Inn, Solitary Creek, near Rydal in February 1839; acquired pastoral interests with brother in law. Became a mail coach proprieter in 1849. Ran mail coaches from Bathurst to Orange, Wellington and Hartley until 1857.
Purchased Balcktown estate near Kelso in 1853 and became a successful horse and cattle breeder. had no squatting interests in unsettled districts. Later acquired a squatting run in Lachlan district. Director of Bathurst Sheep Board in 1866. Chairman from 1869 until 1881. On local public school board from 1868. Chairman from 1874.
Son of Gilbert Rotton, solicitor, and Mary Caroline Humphries. Married (1) Lorn Jane Macpherson in 1839 and had issue 1 daughter and 1 son. Married (2) Ann Ford on 18 March 1844 and had issue 6 daughters and 5 sons. Baptist.
Personal papers in the Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales: Henry Rotton - correspondence and papers, 1836 - 1846 (MLMSS 593). Biography and portrait in Australian Men of Mark, Volume 1. Sydney, [?1889] , page 121
Hartley was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales, originally created in 1859 in the Lithgow area and named after the town of Hartley, near Lithgow. It replaced part of Cook and Westmoreland. From 1891 to 1894, it elected two members. In 1920, with the introduction of proportional representation, it was absorbed into Bathurst, along with Orange. It was recreated in 1927 and abolished in 1968 and partly replaced by Blue Mountains.
Members for Hartley
Western Boroughs was a former electoral district for the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales from 1856 to 1859. It included the towns of Bathurst, Carcoar and Kelso, while the surrounding rural areas were in Bathurst (County) and Cook and Westmoreland. It was replaced by Bathurst and Carcoar.
Bathurst was created in 1859, partly replacing Western Boroughs. Between 1920 to 1927, it absorbed parts of Hartley and Orange and elected three members under proportional representation. In 1927 Bathurst, Hartley and Orange were recreated as single-member electorates.
Member for Western Boroughs
Orange was created in 1859. Orange and Hartley were absorbed into Bathurst, which elected three members under proportional representation, between 1920 to 1927. In 1927 Bathurst, Hartley and Orange were recreated as single-member electorates.
Members for Orange
Mudgee MLA Lyttleton Bayley resigned on 26 November 1859. The resulting by-election on 19 December 1859 was won by Samuel Terry.7 West Macquarie MLA John McPhillamy resigned on 6 December 1859. The resulting by-election on 28 December 1859 was won by Henry Mort, who was unopposed.3 East Macquarie MLA William Suttor resigned on 13 September 1859. The resulting by-election on 6 October 1859 was won by Thomas Hawkins.18 Wellington MLA Nicolas Hyeronimus died on 27 June 1860. The resulting by-election on 26 July 1860 was won by Silvanus Daniel.
There was no party system in New South Wales politics until 1887. Under the constitution, ministers were required to resign to recontest their seats in a by-election when appointed. These by-elections are only noted when the minister was defeated; in general, he was elected unopposed.
Cook and Westmoreland was an
electoral district of the
Legislative Assembly in the
Australian state of
New South Wales in the first and second Parliaments (1856-1859),
Westmoreland counties in the
Oberon areas. It was largely replaced by
Hartley. It elected two members simultaneously, with voters casting
two votes and the first two candidates being elected.
Member for Cook and Westmoreland
< Saturday 17 September 1859
The Broad Wheel Act of 1753 required wagons, drawn by more than 5 Horses, to have Wheels Nine Inches in Width. Then the Turnpiking of roads became a frenzy,
< Saturday 17 September 1859