Andrew Gardiner   

Draft Document  Only   Work In Progress


Last date this page was updated or edited


CAUTION. -I hereby caution the

Public against giving Credit to my Wife, Ann Dolany,- as 1 will not be rosponsiblo for any Debts she may contract uftur'tbis Notice


WHEREAS my Wife, Sophia Jane

Gardner, has absconded from her home with- out any just cause or piovocation, all Porsons aro hereby cautioned against giving her credit on my account, ts I will not'bo responsible for any debts

by her contracted.

ANDREW JAMES GARDNER. Wilberforce, May 3, 1830.


Andrew Gardiner was transported to New South Wales after being convicted at Oxford in 1818.  He arrived on the 18th November 1818, aboard the ship Shipley .He was born in Scotland and occupation was listed as a herd man.  Aged 25, he was a short stocky man  with a height off 5ft, 21/4 inches tall. Hazel eyes, brown hair and a dark pockpitted complexion. 

Andrew was first sent to Wilberforce and served his sentence under Rev. Samuel Marsden, firstly as a farm labourer, and then as an overseer on one of Marsdens property.  Marsden was known as the flogging parson,  and was one of the pioneers of the sheep industry. Andrew was granted his ticket of leave on 8th July 1824, and then his sentence expired the following year and he gained his freedom.

 He married Sarah Perry at St. Johns Church Parramatta on 7th December 1825. In 1826  they had a son named John and in 1827 they had a daughter. In 1827 he applied for a grant of land.  He stated that he was residing at Antonio Creek, and that he owned 50 head of cattle worth 50 pounds and cash on hand of 100 pounds. Antonio  Creek was a grazing district near Sodwalls.

In 1827 Gov. Brisbane  granted Andrew 640 acres of land  at Antonio Creek.  The land had previously been promised to Anthony Hordern back in 1824, but he requested that it be given to Gardiner.

In the 1828 census Andrew Gardiner and his wife was well established at Antonio Creek.  They had four servants, had cleared 8 acres and had increased their herd to 145.  They called the property Berry Farm. They were blessed with 2 children by this stage. John  was born in 1826 and Mary was born in 1828.

In the 1828 census, Andrew was employing 4 servants, had cleared 8 acres and was running 145 head of cattle. He also had established an accommodation house on his farm in 1827, which he called 'Gardiner's Inn', at which he sold liquor and supplies to travellers.

 Wednesday 5 March 1828

E. Payne for stealing a saddle the property of Arthur R ken, Esq. to be transported for seven years. Andrew Gardiner, convicted of receiving the same, knowing it to be stolen, was also placed at the bar, when the Chief Justice stated, that in consequence of  the prisoner's good character, and the impression in the minds of the Court, that the criminal receiving of the stolen property was rather the act of his wife, added to the representation which had been made to His Honor that it was owing to his connexion with her that the prisoner had forfeited the fair reputation which he had hitherto held, the Court would mitigate its sentence to transportation for two years.

SUPREME COURT, SATURDAY   On the Court opening, the Attorney-General prayed for judgment against the following prisoners: -Andrew Dunn and Thomas Shanaghan for cattle stealing - Death. Edward Payne, for stealing a saddle - Seven Years Transportation ; and Andrew Gardiner, for receiving the same, only Two years, in consequence of his character.

This would have meant that Andrew was absent from 1828 to 1830.  How he managed then to get allocation of resources for the Inn at Blackheath is a mystery.

'The Scotch Thistle Inn' (1831) was the first building in Blackheath. It was built by ex-convict Andrew Gardner, who had originally been transported to Australia for the sale of 'spiritous liquors' without a licence.

In 1829 Andrew Gardiner, a prosperous Scottish farmer and former convict residing at Sodwalls, 17 miles (27 kilometres) west of Blackheath, selected 20 acres (eight hectares) for which Governor Darling granted permission on 1 December 1829 for 'a special reserve for the purpose of erecting an Inn thereon'.  Gardiner took possession of the land on 20 May 1830 and after some delay in getting suitable men for the erection of the building, he opened the Scotch Thistle Inn on 11 July 1831. It was described as 'a substantial single storeyed Inn …of hewn stone, with a shingle roof.' The Scotch Thistle Inn must have been thriving within a short time, as it was listed in a Directory in the following year.  Despite this, in September 1832 the naturalist George Bennett described Blackheath as 'truly a dismal, bleak-looking place.'  The inn was the only building in the area until a convict stockade was constructed in 1844. In 1846, Lieutenant Colonel Godfrey Charles Mundy wrote,

The settlement of Blackheath consists of a convict stockade under charge of that officer, and a pretty good inn Gardner's…The barracks and convict 'boxes' form a little hamlet of some two dozen buildings of white-washed slabs with tall stone chimneys.

In April 1849 the land was subdivided and when the railway line was completed in 1868 there were still a few stockade buildings. Today nothing remains of the stockade but the foundations of the Commandant's house have been found beneath part of Blackheath primary school.

During the 1840's there was a stockade based at Blackheath and no doubt, the Inn flourished from the trade.




John Andrew Gardiner applied for land at Mt Victoria  in 1835, but the land was granted to William Cummings. (if the applicant was Andrews son John   was 10 years old!) 

33 Cook, One hundred acres or less, parish unnamed, on Mount Victoria. Applied for by John Andrew Gardiner    Price 5s per acre.

The Plough Inn was licensed by Andrew Gardiner at Mt Victoria  for 1837, 1838, and 1840.


In 1836  and advertisement  was inserted.  John Gorden was been looking after the Scotch Thistle Inn at Blackheath and that he intended to lease it. Hence he had effectively taken over the running in 1833.  
 Then in 1841 the Inn known as Gardiners Inn was advertised for sale. Term of lease was to expire on July 1841.  The Inn was situated on Flanagan's Block.


MR LISCOMBE has received instructions from the Proprietor to sell by Public Auction, at Arthur's Inn Bathurst, on FRIDAY, the 30th Instant, at twelve o'clock,

The premises well known as Gardiner's Inn, situated at the foot of Mount Victoria, on the Bathurst new line of road, and equidistant from Bathurst and Penrith.

The house is large and commodious, containing fourteen rooms plastered and ceiled ;

there are also convenient out houses, besides a six stalled stable, a large garden paled in,

two wells of excellent water, stockyards, and an enclosed paddock of four or five acres.

With the above will be sold the hundred acres of land on which the house stands,

less one and a quarter acre (adjoining Grant's line of road), which has been reserved for the erection of a Roman Catholic Chapel  and school house, being a grant  from the Crown to  Michael Flanagan, and well watered by a back creek.

The property has, at present, let at a yearly rent of £70 but the owner has been offered £100 per annum for it at the expiration of the present term of the lease, in about three mouths.

The advantageous position or this estate, on a road where the truffle Is dally increasing, must render It always a most valuable property, particularly as a site for an inn or as a speculation It would doubtless prove a profitable investment. Title will be guaranteed. Terms of sale — Ten percent deposit, and approved endorsed bills at three and  six months for the residue.

Tuesday 20 April 1841



Research and Reference items


 3093/1861 GARDINER ANDREW father JOHN mother ELIZABETH died at HARTLEY
 4486/1866 GARDINER ESTHER J father GEORGE  mother MARY  at HARTLEY  






GARDINER, Andrew. Per "Shipley", 1818


On return of convicts in the employ of Revd Samuel Marsden; from Nov 1818 (Reel 6064; 4/1789 p.78a)


On list of Crown servants mustered in the employ of Revd Samuel Marsden; in 1822 (Fiche 3143; 4/1843A No.511 p.361)

Andrew Gardiner died in1861.  His father was listed as John and mother  Elizabeth.



Andrew James Gardiner

Birth: about 1790 -- Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, United Kingdom


Andrew was sentenced to 7 years transportation at the Perthshire Court of Judiciary on 16 Apr 1818. His crime was not recorded. He was described as a miller, aged 28, and his father was an engineer. He was transported about the ship 'Shipley' which arrived in the colony on 18 Nov 1818.
On his arrival in Sydney he was sent to Wilberforce and served Rev. Samuel Marsden, first as a farm worker, then as an overseer on one of his properties. Andrew was given his ticket of leave on 8 Jul 1825 and completed his sentence in 1825.

Andrew was granted 640 acres in 1827 by Governor Darling, at Antonio's Creek, near Hartley close to the bottom of Victoria Road, between Old Bowenfels and Rydal and ran into the Fish River.
The property was originally promised to Anthony Hordern, who requested it be given to Andrew instead. The property became known as 'Berry Farm'. In the 1828 census, Andrew was employing 4 servants, had cleared 8 acres and was running 145 head of cattle. He also had established an accommodation house on his farm in 1827, which he called 'Gardiner's Inn', at which he sold liquor and supplies to travellers.

While droving cattle up Mount York, he decided to open an inn at the top of the mountain, now Blackheath ‎(1992)‎, as the new road down the mountains would bypass the famous old 'Colitt's Inn' at the foot of Mount York.

Andrew petitioned Governor Darling in 1829, who delayed the decision until he had seen the site himself, which he did a month later. He was most impressed and granted Andrew 20 acres to build his inn.

The grant was not officially recorded until 7 Jan 1844. Andrew had been authorised to take possession on 20 May 1830. The land, later described as 'the first land grant at Blackheath' lies in the area bounded on the west by the Great Western Highway between Gardiners Crescent and Govetts Leap Road, then down to Govitts Lead Road to Gardiners Crescent, back to the Highway.

The Governor allotted Andrew five skilled emancipists to help erect the building, which was built of stone cut from a nearby quarry, and became the first private stone building constructed on the Central Tablelands. One wall still stands ‎(1992)‎ within the structure of the present 'Gardners Inn' hotel.

Andrew was not always the licensee, but always retained ownership. In Jan 1836, Charles Darwin, the eminent scientist, stayed in a front room of the inn, noting in his diary that 'the inn was run by an old soldier of the Napoleonic Wars, was homely and reminded him of the inns of north Wales, could accommodate up to 15 travellers'. Whether Andrew fought in the Napoleonic Wars is not known.

Andrew called his inn the 'Scottish Thistle'. An original corner stone with a thistle carved on it is exhibited at History House at Wentworth Falls. The licence was granted to sell liquor on 3 Jul 1833 for a fee of £25 pounds, but was backdated 2 years, as was the custom with new establishments. Andrew built another inn at the bottom of the Victoria Pass called the 'Plough Inn' in 1836. The licence was granted in 1837.

In 1796 a system of licensing was introduced which permitted honorary bench magistrates to grant liquor licenses to persons who could enter into a bond of £20, and find two sureties of £10 that they would be of good behaviour. But in 1825 a new Act was implemented to regulate the Granting of Licenses for the Sale of Spirits, Ale, Beer, and other Liquors .

 In 1842,  Mr Kibble   held the Plough Inn at Hartley..

In 1839 he was granted a lease of 3,360 acres in County Westmoreland, near Antonio's Creek for ten pounds 10 shillings a year and in 1848 applied for Lease 49, being Crown land adjoining Macquarie Marshes known as 'Merrybone', consisting of 5 square miles. On 16 Sep 1843, Andrew obtained a loan of
£800 pounds to buy stock for his farm. The 'Scottish Thistle' was part collateral.

In 1846, Andrew's son in law, George William Bloodworth was the licensee of the 'Scottish Thistle'. Several bushrangers used to scout around the inn for prospective travelers to rob and it was a favourite stopping place for the gold escorts after they climbed the range from Bathurst.

16 December 1861 ‎(Age 71)‎ Hartley, Central Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia

Source: Spurway, John, ed. Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record. Series 1, 1788-1841, with series 2 supplement, 1842-1899. Sydney: A.B.G.R., 1992

Note: The cairn on the Great Western Highway opposite the Blackheath Railway Station to commemorate the naming of Blackheath by Lachlan Macquarie on 15 May 1815 was built in 1939 from stone used in Andrew's original sandstone inn.

South Bowenfels, Central Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia
Cemetery Cemetery: Presbyterian Cemetery